Erpats

ér-pats (n): Tagalog slang for 'father' in which the two syllables are used in reverse order. This blog is about being a father, a husband, a man.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Davao City, Philippines

Friday, May 12, 2006

my erpats

My older brother Arnel and I used to call our beloved father "Erpats." Not to his face, though; it was kinda like a code word, something we used only between ourselves. Tatay was Tatay when he was around, but when he wasn't, he would be "Erpats." It's a little irreverent but familiar, akin to the American slang the old man." It's a kanto word that is also a term of endearment.
Erpats was a good man, a nice man, a great man. In this blog I will write about him often, and I think I will see just how much of him I have become...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home